Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The 86-Year-Old Terrorist

I work in a financial services office. One of my bosses' elderly clients sent a $35 money order in to her account, and it was returned to us for the following reason: Per the USA Patriot Act the following monetary instruments are no longer accepted: Money Orders, Cashier checks, Traveler's Checks, and Bank Drafts.

Apparently she is going to have to pay $5 for a bank check, and then write a letter indicating where she got the money - was it from Social Security? A gift, perhaps? Is the icy wind which is raising the libertarian hairs on the back of my neck only felt by me?

It is fascinating to me that Republicans style themselves to be against government regulation when that is clearly not the case. I live in Illinois, where we may soon have a black male senator - Barack Obama. Now the Republicans in the state are fronting their own black man, Alan Keyes. The white guy in my office thinks that Keyes is very cool - you can stay Republican while at the same time feeling progressive by voting for a black man.

I turned to his official website to see how Mr. Keyes justifies running for senate in a state in which he has never lived. Instead of speaking authoritatively about how he would address any of the challenges which face Illinois, Mr. Keyes pretty much says that he is compelled to run because Obama is a baby-killer. The following link is to Mr. Keyes' coyly sickening announcement speech: http://www.renewamerica.us/archives/speeches/04_08_08illinois_announce.htm

I'm so glad that the Republicans are here to protect us from alleged Democratic baby-killers and octogenarian money-launderers. Knowing that I can count on them, I feel my personal threat level moving from Code Magenta all the way down to the warm and fuzzy Code Goldenrod.

No comments: