Friday, August 06, 2004

The Salt Mines

Well, friends, I have needed to do something in order to express myself. I was unemployed for about a year, and I started a new job in the middle of July.

I am alone in an office where everyone has quit, and apparently it is my job to recruit their replacements. I have a 27-year-old assistant who resents me, sabotages my work, and laughs long and hard whenever I make a mistake; a remote manager who has never provided any training but who calls me periodically to yell at me for forgetting to do things that I was never told to do; and an on-site manager who hates my remote boss so much that he orders me to do the opposite of everything my boss tells me to do. These guys can't even agree on when my workday starts - remote guy says 8 a.m., onsite guy doesn't want me there until 9.

It is now the middle of August. My stomach always hurts, my right eye has begun to twitch, and I periodically distress my children by bursting into tears. Whether or not anyone reads these postings, I hope that they will serve as a safety valve until I figure a way out of this mess.

No comments: